WASHINGTON — Following the recall of its Nature’s Menu Real Chicken and Quail dog foods on Aug. 24, Sunshine Mills, Inc. on Sept. 2 issued another voluntary recall for potentially elevated levels of aflatoxin. The recall affects 12 lots of three different products.
The US Food and Drug Administration shared Sunshine Mills’ recall, which states that “Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring mold by-product from the growth of Aspergillus flavus and can be harmful to pets if consumed in significant quantities.”
The recall was initiated after the Louisiana Department of Agriculture found elevated levels of aflatoxin in one 4-lb bag of Sunshine Mills’ pet food product. No illnesses have been reported in association with these recalled products and no other Sunshine Mills products are affected.
The recall includes:
Family Pet® Meaty Cuts Beef Chicken & Cheese Flavors Premium Dog Food
- 4-lb bags, lot codes TD3 4/APRIL/2020 and TD1 5/APRIL/2020, UPC 3225120694
- 14-lb bags, lot codes TB1 4/APRIL/2020, TB2 4/APRIL/2020 and TB3 3/APRIL/2020, UPC 3225118078
- 28-lb bags, lot code TB3 3/APRIL/2020, UPC 3225118078
Heartland Farms® Grilled Favorites, Beef Chicken & Cheese Flavor
- 14-lb bags, lot codes TB1 4/APRIL/2020 and TB2 4/APRIL/2020, UPC 7015514299
- 31-lb bags, lot codes TA2 4/APRIL/2020 and TA3 4/APRIL/2020, UPC 7015514301
Paws Happy Life® Butcher’s Choice Dog Food
- 16-lb bags, lot codes TA1 4/APRIL/2020 and TA2 4/APRIL/2020, UPC 3680035763
Recalled products were distributed to retail stores across the United States, Sunshine Mills reported.
Read more about recent pet food and treat recalls.