MISSISSAUGA, ONTARIO — United Raw Pet Foods Inc. announced April 2 it is permanently increasing wages for manufacturing employees at the company’s raw pet food manufacturing plants in Canada. This includes a 10% pay increase for all hourly employees and a 5% increase for all salaried employees.

United Raw operates four processing facilities in Canada, located in Edmonton, Alberta; Saskatoon, Saskatchewan; and St. Thomas and Kemptville, Ontario.

“This announcement is in recognition of the outstanding efforts our manufacturing teams have made during these trying times,” said Mark Warren, chairman and chief executive officer of Dane Creek Capital Corp. (DCCC), which owns United Raw. “While many of our employees across our group of companies either have been forced or advised to work from home due to the COVID-19 outbreak, our manufacturing operations have relied on the steadfast commitment of those employees who make our 10 brands of raw pet food for pet owners across Canada.”

The company has seen an uptick in demand as the coronavirus pandemic continues to develop and pet owners rush to stock up on food and supplies.

“Over the first quarter of 2020, we saw unprecedented demand for raw food from pet owners not only switching from kibble to raw feeding regimens but also from existing customers wishing to stock up as advised by their respective provincial government officials,” said Brett Flahr, vice president of manufacturing for Dane Creek. “Our manufacturing team feels obliged to ensure pet owners have the pet foods they need during these challenging times, which is evidenced by their dedication. In turn, we are obliged to look after our team’.

DCCC is the private equity firm that owns 70% of United Raw, with the remaining 30% owned by DCCC’s shareholders. United Raw represents the largest family of frozen raw pet food brands throughout Canada, according to DCCC.

United Raw most recently acquired Tollden Farms Inc., marking its fifth frozen pet food manufacturing acquisition in the last three years.

Stay up to date on news about the pet food processing industry on our News page.